Getting a good night’s sleep is an essential part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. When the elements that be try to hinder it, knowing which essential oils make you sleep better is useful information. Most adults need a minimum of seven to nine hours of sleep each night. Getting inadequate amounts of sleep can sabotage weight loss efforts and lead to numerous troublesome conditions. Getting good sleep can help improve memory, brain health, your mood, and immunity. Essential oils can be beneficial for helping you get more sleep or better sleep.
Top 5 Essential Oils to make You Sleep Better
Lavender Essential Oil– Lavender is one of the essential oils to make you sleep better. It’s been the subject of a variety of scientific tests and it has been proven to be effective at helping with relaxation and sleep. It helps to alleviate nervous tension. Lavender EO can also be mixed with other oils to create your own sleep aiding blend. Try mixing it with frankincense, bergamot, Roman chamomile, or valerian.
Roman Chamomile Essential Oil –Roman Chamomile is from an herb that has long been used for providing relief from chronic stress, headaches, and nervous disorders. All of these can cause sleeplessness. It induces relaxation and can be combined with other oils to create a natural sleep aid.
Vetiver Essential Oil –Vetiver EO has an earthy aroma and can help you shut off your brain for the night. It mixes well with Lavender or Roman Chamomile. Vetiver is grounding, calming and stabilizing.
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil –This oil is from a tree that is native to Indonesia, the Cananga tree. The oil from the flowers can reduce hypertension due to its sedative effect. It helps alleviate stress and anxiety and can help you fall asleep faster.
Frankincense Essential Oil –Frankincense is great for helping balance emotions, support good sleep, calming the mind and boosting the immune system. It is an effective natural treatment for insomnia because it helps provide feelings of relaxation and relief from anxiety and depression.
How to use Essential Oils Topically to get Better Sleep
There are topical applications or aromatic uses of essential oils to help ensure you and your family get a good night’s sleep. Remember that applying oils topically requires dilution with a carrier oil for most of the essential oils. Without a carrier oil, their potency can cause some skin irritation, particularly for those who have skin sensitivities. Also, remember that the dilution for kids is different than it is for adults. For children, one teaspoon of carrier oil (coconut, olive, avocado) blends with one to three drops of essential oil. The dilution for adults is one to three drops of an EO with one to three drops of the carrier oil of your choice. Children under one should not have oils applied topically without the direction of a medical professional. Once the oils are mixed with a carrier oil, apply it to the back of the neck, the bottom of the feet or inside the wrists. It will only take a few minutes for the oils to absorb. Once the oils are applied topically, you may still have some on your hands. Cup them over your nose and inhale for additional relaxation.
Using Essential Oils Aromatically for Getting Sleep
Essential oils can also be diffused to get the same benefit. You may mix them with a carrier oil then rub the oils between your hands. Cup your hands around your nose and inhale. Keeping a diffuser in your bedroom is beneficial for adding EOs that help you relax or sleep. Just add a few drops of the EO to the diffuser right before bedtime. They can help you relax so you can fall asleep easier.
Other Strategies to Help Get Better Sleep
Along with using essential oils to make you sleep better, there are a few other strategies that can also help. Here are some basic tips for better sleep.
- Eat a healthy diet. Avoid foods that are high in carbohydrates. Carbs can saturate muscles with glucose which can cause involuntary movements during your sleep. If you are hungry before bed it might mean your body is just tired. If you have to snack, try nuts. They offer protein and fat which can be satisfying, but the digest slowly so they don’t disrupt your sleep. They are also rich in the mineral magnesium which works to calm the nervous system.
- Get good exercise. Exercising can help you keep your weight under control, but it can also enhance your sleep. However, exercising just before bedtime can boost your metabolism and body temperature. This can make it difficult to fall asleep. For those who like to exercise at night, do so about three or four hours before bedtime. You may also try yoga or stretching to soothe your mind and relax right before going to bed.
- Establish a bedtime routine. Try to go to bed and get up at about the same time every day. This is useful for your body as it regulates its internal clock. It can help you fall asleep faster and get better sleep.
- Avoid electronics and bright lights before bed. Your bedroom should be a sanctuary that is free from television, computers or other electronic devices. Avoid all technology and bright lights for at least one hour prior to bedtime. A darker environment signals your body that it is nighttime, and it will produce melatonin, the hormone that regulates your sleep patterns.
- Create a safe place reserved for sleep. Your bedroom should be used only for sleep and the environment should be conducive to sleep. Use essential oils that make you sleep better at the same time every night. Give your body an hour to unwind from the day and calm down into a sleep mode.