Sometimes it’s difficult to stay awake. Many Westerners survive by grabbing an extra cup of coffee. Even coffee lovers will agree you can only drink so much java without starting to feel some side effects. What if there were some ways to use essential oils to stay awake? Whether you are fighting the all-too-common afternoon slump at work, on the road driving, or need to get going in the morning, essential oils can help you wake up or stay awake.
Ways to Use Oils to Stay Awake
Even though oils come in tiny brown bottles, they are highly concentrated and potent. They offer a wide variety of benefits and some of them can invigorate your senses and can help you feel energized. There are several ways to use oils or blends of oils to help you stay awake and be more productive. Here are four safe and easy ways to use oils to keep you awake, improve your alertness, and increase your energy.
Diffusers. A diffuser is perfect for private spaces. You can add your favorite energizing oil or oil blend and enjoy the energy boost it provides. If you are trying to stay awake in a common area, you may want to use diffuser jewelry. Different people have varying preferences and aromas pleasing to you may not have the same positive effect on another person. Remember that scents don’t have to be strong to be effective, just four or five drops in the diffuser will work.
Diffuser Jewelry. If you are out and about, you may want to opt for diffuser jewelry. These bracelets and necklaces conveniently allow you to enjoy the benefits of essential oils. Use them while driving, in the office, or even at home.
Inhale Directly from the Bottle. Essential oils can be sniffed directly from the bottle. Just take the lid off and hold it away from your face a bit as most of them are potent. You’ll get the desired effect and it should help boost energy for about 15 minutes or so. For many oils, this is the most effective way to enjoy their optimum benefits.
Use a Tissue. If you don’t have access to a diffuser or are riding in a car, then a simple tissue will work. Place a few drops of your favorite oil or oil blend on the tissue and hold it by the air vent in the car to “diffuse” it while you are driving. In a public office, you can also use a tissue by placing 3-4 drops of an oil or oil blend on it and letting it evaporate into the air.
Top Fifteen EOs to Keep You Awake and Alert
Many oils are effective at boosting energy, increasing alertness, and keeping you awake. Individual oils can be used alone or in blends. These EOs have many beneficial qualities and keeping you alert and awake is just one of them. Here are the top 15 recommended oils for helping you stay awake.
Orange EOis uplifting and improves energy levels for helping you stay awake.
- Lime EO is sweet and tangy and promotes energy flow in the body.
- Grapefruit EO helps relieve stress and reduces mental fatigue to increase energy.
- Peppermint EO contains menthol and offers a boost for both mental and physical vitality.
Rosemary EOincreases blood flow to the cerebrum which can improve alertness.
- Thyme EO reduces stress and increases energy levels.
Basil EOstimulates the adrenal glands to alleviate sluggishness, relieve mental fog and fight chronic fatigue.
- Cinnamon EO gives an instant energy boost to help fight mental and physical exhaustion.
- Ginger EO stimulates the nerves and helps keep you pumped.
- Black Pepper EO enhances concentration and increases energy if you are feeling sluggish or worn out.
- Pine EO is good for cleaning, but also for relieving both mental and physical fatigue.
- Lemongrass EO is earthy, fresh and invigorating to instantly offer a lift, balance energy and clear your mind.
- Eucalyptus EO is able to fight off inflammation, stimulate the immune system, and is antioxidant and analgesic in nature. Offering this kind of boost for the immune system can have a profound effect on energy levels.
Cedarwood EOrelieves stress and tension as well as stimulating the release of serotonin to help you sleep. Getting adequate sleep the night before a big project can help you be more alert and stay awake.
- Frankincense EO helps alleviate unpleasant effects of depression and anxiety which can help boost energy levels and help you stay awake.
Recipes for using Essential Oils to Stay Awake
Make Your Own Wide-Awake Blend
This is an amazing combo that will help keep you alert and awake. You can diffuse it or add the same amount of drops to a roll-on bottle and fill it with your choice of carrier oils. Then you can use it topically and achieve the same results.
- 1 drop of bergamot EO
- 1 drop of grapefruit EO
- 1 drop of peppermint EO
- 1 drop of pine EO
- 1 drop of lemon EO
If you are looking for a boost of energy to meet a deadline or get motivated to workout try this warm and spicy blend.
- 2 drops of black pepper EO
- 2 drops of lime EO
- 3 drops of frankincense EO
This warm blend helps increase energy and warmth. Try it the next time your friends or family come over it’ll energize any occasion.
- 3 drops of cinnamon EO
- 2 drops of orange EO
- 1 drop of ginger EO
Get Up-and-Going with this Blend
If you are using essential oils to stay awake or need a quick boost of energy to get a project completed, try this blend. It will get everyone in the house up and going!
- 2 drops of grapefruit EO
- 1 drop of lime EO
- 1 drop of peppermint EO
Fresh Mountain Air Blend
Not much wakes you up and like mountain air. Try this rejuvenating blend that reminds you of pure, fresh mountain air.
- 2 drops of lavender EO
- 2drops of pine EO
- 1 drop of basil EO